SB50 Climate Change Conference 2019 – week 2
This report gives a summary on the BKEI involvement in the second week of SB50, the intercessional meeting of the United Nation Framework on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in Bonn. In this second week the BKEI served through:
- a stand with information material and posters
- Our BKEI official Side Event on Thursday 27th June
- One focus of networking was with youth to prepare for COY15 in Chile
- Another focus had been on bilateral meetings with people from the UNFCCC and the new Chilean COP25 Presidency.
SB50 Climate Change Conference 2019
The Bonn Climate Change Conference (SB50) hosted a wide range of events, meetings, and negotiating sessions to raise ambitions to curb greenhouse gas emissions, and accelerate resilience-building efforts. Brahma Kumaris were an active participant at this event.
Bonn, Climate Change session April 2018, 2nd report
This report includes:
- presentation of BK action in climate change mitigation
- WCCB INterfaith co-ordination meeting
- Living the change initiative
- Workshop linking data and aggregation deliverables
- Earth witness side event
- Centre for climate change meeting
Bonn, Climate Change session April 2018, 1st report
This meeting, held April 2018 in Bonn, was for Civil Society members to discuss and reflect on climate change and human rights. The participants considered ways in which the states who had signed the Paris Agreement could be encouraged to deliver on their undertaking. This meeting was to prepare the strategies available. The Talanoa dialogue was employed. The indigenous peoples and the faith-based communities took part. The impacts of the efforts of each country were gamed with significant results.
On Monday 8th May2017, Brahma Kumaris, QUNO and Newcastle University co-organized a panel named: “A Negotiator‘s tool-kit: a range of powerful arguments to engage with busy Ministries on clear and concise reasons for urgent climate action.” The question to the panelists was: “How would you convince your ministry about taking urgent action in 5 minutes?”.
Report of side event
On the 16th of May 2016, Segolène Royale, the French minister for the environment, chaired the first meeting that followed the Paris Agreement in Bonn. The meeting had a number of targets, all aimed at facilitating the implementation of the agreements made at COP 21 in Paris. It was also a time of saying farewell to Christiana Figueres who was standing down as executive secretary of the UNFCCC.
The United Nations Climate Change Conference was held in Bonn in June 2015. This side event was a panel discussion of people with considerable experience of the issues around climate change. It took place 2nd June in Bonn III (72).
June 2014 Report of Global Justice and Equity
A side panel discussion was held at the Bonn Climate Change Conference including:
- Prince Goodluck Obi, Dir. Global Alert for Defence of Youth and the Less Privileged, Nigeria
- Dr. Curtis FJ Doebbler, Prof. of Law, Geneva, International-Lawyers.org
- BK Jayanti Kirpalani, Director, Brahma Kumaris, Europe & United Kingdom
- Joachim Golo Pilz, Dir. Solar Research Institute, India
Case studies of tree planting in Nigeria and solar energy in India were presented as examples of value based transition.