This report, presented to the United Nations describes the activities of Brahma Kumaris for environmental issues between 2014 and 2017, inclusive.
Eminent speakers and wonderful performers from all walks of life from Peru, Costa Rica, New York, Canada, Brazil, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Philippines, Hong Kong and Australia contributed to the Healthy Mind, Healthy Planet webinar.
Amidst the worldwide lockdown and in conjunction with World Environment Day, Brahma Kumaris Environment Initiative, in cooperation with Brahma Kumaris Malaysia and Awakening TV Channel, hosted a thought-provoking Global YouTube LIVE Public Talk themed: “Effect of COVID-19 on Climate Change & World Renewal”
The Southern African Faith Communities’ Environment Institute policy conference was held on 5-7 November 2019 in Johannesburg. Its purpose was to allow faith leaders from Southern Africa and beyond to deliberate, share practices, and jointly develop policy positions on a number of key issues. Sister Usha of Brahma Kumaris gave an impassioned speech at the closing of the conference.
The Conference of Youth (COY) is held annually in the same country and prior to the Conference of the Parties (COP), which is the supreme decision-making body of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). COY serves as a preparation session for youth non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to develop position papers, network and form strategic decisions on climate change solutions. Despite the COP venue moving from Chile to Spain, Brahma Kumaris fielded a strong team of experienced young people.
The Local Conference of Youth (LCOY) for Germany was held in Heidelberg, Germany in October 2019. Over 550 young people attended the event. The local BKs, as well as having an exhibition stand, organised many meditation sessions for the participants. It was a good success.
After a busy two weeks, much has been done by the team. Several new collaborations have been created. The team is now dispersing back to their places around the world. In this report:
- A review of the final outcome from COP25
- Article in German Newspaper “Die Zeit”
- A Vigil by Interfaith community
- Travel compensation arrangements
- A creative reflection and dialogue
- Feedback meeting
- A birthday party
- Goodbye from the editing team
- Additional reporting on the reflection and dialogue space
The tireless BK COP Team continue holding events and collaborating with other groups. In this report:
- More news from the COP
- Side event in the Chile Pavilion
- An intergenerational dialogue between all the UN climate bodies and youth representations
- A UN head of organisations leadership dialogue
- Civil society forum
- Some splendid photos
In this report:
- Greta Thunberg’s speech and a review of the COP25
- A side event by BK and Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies, at the German Pavilion
- Training with Green Faith
- An interfaith co-ordination meeting
- A second BK reception
- Meeting an education leader from Ahmedabad, India
COP25 is now reaching its important stage where decisions need to be made. The BK team continue to give their message in many creative ways. In this report, there is:
- Opening of the high level plenum and where we are at
- Addressing climate change through a human perspective
- BK public program dedicated to COP25
- Youngo daily meeting
- Side event with Al Gore, chairman of the Climate Reality Project
- Action for climate empowerment
- A smoke ceremony
See the report and photos (phone)
The team in Madrid continue to make important connections and meet more VIPs. Monday 9th December was a particularly busy day for them. In this report is included:
- The arrival of Greta Thunberg
- Press conference solar cookers
- BK press conference with Sister Jayanti
- Faith leaders meeting UNFCCC Deputy Executive Secretary
- A Briefing on Geo-engineering
- A side event “The power of the religious environmental movement”
- Meeting the Nigerian Minister of the Environment
- A Dialogue of the Resistance Frontiers Initiative
- Some photos of key moments
The BK COP team in Madrid continue to make important connections and collaborations, sharing the idea that the world needs a change in consciousness. Included in this report:
- A report of the state of the COP negotiations
- The interfaith press conference with Sister Jayanti
- Activities in the Civil Society space
- A side event, “Building a spirit of solidarity to deal with the climate emergency
- The creation of the Sanctuary Space, a new collaboration including BK
After the intense period of BK programmes and side events, the team were able to network with other groups and enjoy some social occasions with them. In this report there is:
- Workshop on tracking progress 2020-23, a two day CAMDA workshop
- Inner Dimension of Climate Change, a programme of the Global Peace Initiative
- A reception for friends
- How do we relate to future generations? – Organised by the Institute for Advanced Social Studies and BKs helped to facilitate
The Brahma Kumaris team continue to be busy meeting organisation leaders from around the world and sharing the message of peace. In this report there is:
- BK COP Press conference
- Lecture at University Carlos III
- Sister Jayanti meeting the Environment Minister of Argentina
- A view of the Indian Pavillion
This second report from the COP25 reflects one of the Brahma Kumaris’ busiest days. There were several Brahma Kumaris side events and the exhibition stand has been kept busy as it has been, once again, very popular. This report includes:
- Background information for COP25
- 10 ways to change the world exhibition stand
- The interfaith coordination meeting
- Side event: Strengthening Peaceful Pathways to Sustainable Solutions
- Side event: Inspiring Courage to Act and Adapt in a Climate Emergency
- Side event: Collective Adaptation to the Climate Emergency
This report records the formation of the highly qualified Brahma Kumaris team from around the world participating in the COP25. This report includes:
- The BK team introduction
- Attending the Indigenous Peoples’ Platform
- The initiation of action by the interfaith group
- The opening of the COP25
- Attending the Human Rights and Climate Change meeting
- The BK exhibition stand firing into action
As has been the case for many years now, Brahma Kumaris will be participating in the Conference of Parties 25 (COP25). Even though the event has moved half way around the world, from Chile to Spain, a strong team has been assembled for the event. Many programs have been arranged to enable us to convey our message of spirituality and its importance to managing climate change. Here we give the team profiles, the calendar of events and a press statement of 2/12/19.
The COP25 team assembled in Chile produced a number of events in preparation for COP25 being in Chile. This report describes the team and a presentation by Golo Pilz. This talk included all the main points of the work of Brahma Kumaris for the environment. There is also description of a talk: Healthy mind, healthy planet at Viña del Mar.
LH Positive Planet Forum 2019
5000 people gathered in Le Havre over three days, with 150 speakers from all over the world who presented practical positive propositions to change our societies facing new challenges. The Brahma Kumaris were invited to participate. Please see the link to the Positive Planet Foundation website:
LCOY-15, INDIA is being hosted by Brahma Kumaris from 2nd to 4th November at its International HQs, Mt.Abu, Rajasthan. Youth from all parts of India are invited to participate in this event and make their voices heard.
The UNCCD COP14 was organized from 2nd to 13th September 2019 at the India Expo Mart in Greater Noida in which delegates from 196 countries participated.
The Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University (BKWSU) actively participated in the conference.
UNEP conference, Nairobi, 2019
This UNEP conference held in Nairobi in July 2019, was for youth leaders to come together to discuss actions they can take to facilitate control of climate change. It was a celebration of the 4th anniversary of Laudato Si and the 5th anniversary of the Catholic environment group CYNESA and was attended by a number of world leaders concerned with environmental issues.
Climate Week, Latin America & Caribbean, 2019
LACCWThs is a photo report of the participation of Brhama Kumaris in the Climate Week in Latin America & Caribbean.
The Brahma Kumaris family in Malaysia held a green retreat to look at aspects of agriculture with experts giving advice on such matters as Fertigation and Hydroponic Farming Systems. This was combined with reflections on the power of meditation to positively affect agriculture yields (yogic farming).